Saturday, December 13, 2014

The beginner's body transformation

MF art director Ped Millichamp embarks on a 10-week beginner's body transformation, experiencing weight training for the first time

I was slightly apprehensive going into my first transformation workout as a) I’d never trained using weights before and b) I didn’t know how my body would react to having weights pushed through it. I hadn't trained for about five years, since injuring my hip playing football, so I was interested to see how my body would react to that injury and whether or not weight training would help or hinder my mobility. At the same time, I was really excited to take on this new challenge and see how I could improve my body shape and overall health. Having never exposed myself to weight training before I was acutely aware that the first few weeks would no doubt be the most difficult. Learning all the big compound moves was tough but I quite enjoyed it, despite how exhausting it was. 

There was no need to worry though as Sean, my trainer, took his time to explain the theory behind everything we were going to do and nurtured me through the first series of workouts. These were also with fairly light weights so I could start to master the technique before moving on to the real heavy stuff. Finishing each workout with push-ups and planks was probably just as difficult as learning those new moves as my muscles kept failing me during each exercise, a feeling I learnt to appreciate as a sign of a job well done. 

My first few sessions with Sean filled me with confidence that I could indeed get through these 10 weeks – as long as I listened to my body and took on board the advice Sean gave me. Fear of the unknown can bring on stress but once you actually start something you realise it can be achieved.

Check out our other transformation videos here. 

Advice Ped Millichamp
11 Dec 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment