Friday, January 23, 2015

The beginner's body transformation – part 4

MF Art director Ped has gone from never lifting a weight in his life to serious strength training. Find out how he's getting on

I'm nearly at the end of my transformation training schedule. A few weeks ago I was simultaneously dreading finishing (because of the small matter of having to pose topless in a national magazine), and willing time to to fast forward so I wouldn’t have to endure the intense training. Much to my own surprise, I'm actually starting to enjoy myself, and though the sessions are hard, I now look forward to going to the gym with my trainer Sean.

I’ve graduated to sessions consisting of trios of tri-sets, mostly compound moves, going from push motions to pulling ones. The lifts aren’t getting any easier, but the fact I'm used to slogging through the pain now (and know I’ll get through the other side unscathed) means I’m actually starting to enjoy the challenge. I'm not quite at the same kind of level of appreciation of 'the pump' as Arnie famously was, but I do find a certain satisfaction to getting through reps, and even in failing them because I know that's the only way I'm going to get significantly stronger.

Having said that, working to failure is never exactly fun, but Sean does a great job of encouraging me. It's also nice to see that my weight loss is continuing. Who knows? I may even have have some visible abs to show off come the final photoshoot. Perhaps most importantly, these sessions and all the stuff I've learnt during this transformation will stick with me afterwards, and while it’s unlikely I'll train quite as much and be quite as disciplined with my diet, I'm going to have the confidence to know what I'm doing when I hit the gym by myself.

I realise I’m lucky to have an expert personal trainer coach me, but if you pick up the Feb 2015 issue of Men’s Fitness you can follow my plan yourself. If you need clarification on any other moves or terminology, chances are you'll find you answers here on the MF website.

I'm thinking of nabbing some modelling tips from Sean ready for my final photoshoot and really hope I’ve done enough to make him proud.

More inspiring transformation videos

Videos Ped Millichamp
23 Jan 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment